Junior season abandoned

Junior season abandoned

The 2020 East Gippsland Junior Football Association season has been abandoned.

Following on from the State Government announcement that stage three restrictions would be reintroduced in Regional Victoria and will remain in place until September 13, league officials decided the best course of action was to end the season after just two rounds.

As part of the stage three restrictions, community sport has been cancelled.

The Football Netball East Gippsland commissioners previously consulted the EGJFA clubs giving an undertaking that the 2020 season would conclude prior to the term three school holidays, which begin on September 19.

The commissioners wish to thank the players, coaches, officials, committees, parents and supporters for the immense amount of work undertaken to return to training and then return to play in a COVID safe environment.

“There will be many challenges for administrators as we plan for 2021,” Football Netball East Gippsland’s Rod Twining said.

“The reduced season will impact on the ‘games played’ totals and may have consequences for attaining ‘home club’ status. This will be of particular importance for the ‘top age’ under 14s moving to a senior club.

“The ‘top age’ under 14s also face the challenge of having limited/no ‘game time’ in their lead up to playing in a higher grade.”

The commissioners will work with the clubs and AFL Victoria to address the many challenges created by the abandoning of the 2020 season.

“We face many challenges for the foreseeable future. Please stay safe and keep in touch with each other,” Twining said.


Print